Become a Certified Preaching Coach
Who should become a certified preaching coach? Similar to programs in CPE supervision or spiritual direction, this program is not for everyone. Because we are certifying you professionally to “hang a shingle,” thereby taking responsibility for partnering in an important aspect of another person’s vocation, the program is rigorous, involving extensive reading, coursework, training in professional ethics, supervised practice, and evaluation.We assume, therefore, that if you want to become a certified preaching coach you are:
- 1. professionally motivated– you desire to add homiletic coaching to your resumé and want to engage in either a fee-based individual practice with clients, or will use this training in an organized educational setting (seminary, continuing education program, denominational program, etc.)
- 2. vocationally motivated– you have a profound respect for preaching, have experienced both the joys and struggles of the preacher, and experience a calling or desire to assist others to become better practitioners.
- 3) theologically motivated– you believe in the centrality of preaching to the life of Christian faith and the development and maintenance of the Church.
- 4) collaborative – you have a personality and leadership/ teaching style that values learning from the insights and feedback of others.
How is the program structured? The program takes one year. Here is an outline of what is involved:
- Colloquy 1: (January) Coaches-in-training will gather at Vanderbilt Divinity School for five days of training.
- Homiletic Analysis Course: (July) Coaches-in-training will attend a five-day on-site course where they will learn the rudiments of careful sermon analysis.
- Colloquy 3: (January) Coaches return to Vanderbilt Divinity School for a final 4-day colloquy and graduation.
Next cohort dates:
Colloquy 1: January 6-10, 2020
Colloquy 2: Homiletic Analysis Course: August, 17-21
Colloquy 3: January 5-8, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions:
When does the program begin?
The next cohort begins with Colloquy 1: January, 2020.
How much does the program cost?
Tuition is 2750.00. The Lilly Foundation pays 50%. You pay 1375.00.
Do I have to pay for travel?
Yes. We do not support travel for any participant.
Do I have to pay for food?
Yes. We provide snacks only
.Do I have to pay for Housing?
No. All participants are housed at our expense.